Is That for Real? Fake Artifacts and the Truth
People love to collect things: especially artifacts and other collectibles that they deem to either have personal or monetary
value. Unfortunately, with the growth of this popular pastime comes the people who are out to take advantage of these people
who wish to purchase artifacts for their collections.
These crooks only want to defraud the innocent people of their money while preying on their desire to have something unique
and original. Until these people are all caught, it will continue. However, the sad fact is that there will continue to be
sideways crooks that will prey on unsuspecting people until the end of time.
So, if you are a collector, take note. If you are looking to purchase any sort of collectable from someone who claims to
have something original, make sure you take the time to research the claim before you shell out your hard earned cash.
How can you be prepared to avoid crooks? Well, it surely is not easy, but here are a few steps you can follow to try to
protect yourself, your interests and most of all, your cash:
* Only buy from a reputable antiques or collectables dealer. These people will have references and contacts in the industry
that will prove that they have the goods
* Never buy from someone who approaches you about buying something unique or rare. Most times these people are trying to
take advantage of your interest. Instead, only buy things you have had the time to research in advance.
* Go with your gut, if you look at something and it seems too good to be true, it of course probably is just that.
* Do not let your excitement get in the way of your good judgment. You may be excited at the prospect of purchasing a
unique artifact, but do not let that cloud your good judgment and make sure you research your purchase before buying,
by confirming on historical records, etc.
* Develop relationships with your dealers and buyers. That way you will build trust and you can be assured that you will
be able to trust these people and know that what they are saying is the truth.
There may come a time when you do get bilked out of your cash and end up losing some of it due to a bad business deal. Do
not dwell on that, it can happen to even the savviest of collectors. Instead, brush it off to a hard lesson learned and
then get up and try again. You will no doubt have the opportunity to purchase many find artifacts and collectables in
your life. Some will be amazing, some not so much. In the end you will have a great collection of artifacts that will make
you proud to show off to your friends and family. It will take some time to assemble this amazing collection, but once you
do, you will be amazed at the satisfaction you get from it.